Sesshin offers a unique opportunity to deepen one's practice in a supportive atmosphere and to contribute to others doing so as well. Sesshin is conducted in disciplined silence, with every aspect of the day geared towards focusing single-mindedly on the present moment. Dokusan (one-to-one instruction with the teacher) is offered three times a day, and voluntary sitting, outside of the formal rounds, is encouraged.
The sesshins below can also be a 2, 4 or 7 day sesshin, everyone beginning on the first day. Discuss with Sensei or Hanya if you wish to sign up for a shorter sesshin(2 or 4 day).
20 - 27 May 2017, Autumn 7-day, Bella Rakha
30 September - 7 October 2017, Spring 7-day, Bella Rakha
6 - 13 January 2018, Summer 7-day, Aio Wira
Fees and other information
Please call Sensei at (09) 550 4383 if you have questions.
- Fee for sesshin at Bella Rakha, Aio Wira or other rented venue: Casual Participants: $80/day or $27/section (if part time); Supporting Members: $70/day or $22/section (if part time).
- Fee for 2-day sesshins at Zen Centre: Casual Participants: $50/day ($100 total); Supporting Members: $40/day ($80 total).
- Payment is due in full before the start of sesshin unless special arrangements have been made. (Note: There will be an opportunity to offer dana for the teacher after sesshin.)
- The deadline for applications is two weeks prior to a 7-day sesshin or one week prior to the start of a shorter sesshin.
- Prior zazen experience is required for sesshin.
- If you have not sat before with the AZC, attendance at an Introductory Workshop (and at weekly sittings if you live in Auckland) may be required.