Membership and Giving
The principle of dana, or giving, is central to Buddhism and to practice at the Auckland Zen Centre. Anyone seeking the Dharma will be welcomed, and all donations large or small will be gratefully received. The Centre relies on donations and volunteer hours to support our priests and trainees, pay for our building, furnish our zendo, run our office, and offer workshops, sittings and other programmes.
Becoming a Supporting Member
Everyone who participates in the Centre's activities is warmly welcomed as a member of the AZC Sangha. If you are, or expect to be, a regular participant in Centre activities, or just want to contribute to furthering the Centre's aims, you are encouraged to apply for formal, or "Supporting" Membership. Supporting Members pledge to make a regular donation to the Centre, and to participate in the life of the Centre through sitting at the Centre and volunteering where possible. Supporting Members receive regular e-news about upcoming activities; access to the books and CDs in our library; reduced sesshin fees; and eligibility for Teacher's Scholarship Fund grants. After you have been a Supporting Member for a year you may request to become a formal student of Amala-sensei. Information on what becoming a student entails is available on request. Click the link above to apply for membership. Or participate casually for a while to get a feel for the community.
Donating to the Auckland Zen Centre (overview)
- Your one-off or regular donations go towards the general costs associated with keeping our doors open.
- Donations to the Teacher's Scholarship Fund (TSF) help to defray sesshin expenses for students who would not otherwise be able to attend sesshin.
- Donations to the Priest and Trainee Support Fund (PTSF) help those in full-time training pay for unexpected large expenses such as dental bills. For more information go to here.
- Donations to the Building Fund support the continuing development of 52 Princes St, which is the new home for the Auckland Zen Centre.
Information for New Zealand-based donors
- The Auckland Zen Centre is a registered charitable entity (CC20537) in terms of the Charities Act 2005.
- Donations are tax-deductible for New Zealand residents (IRD #94-887-291).
- Internet transfers may be made to Auckland Zen Centre, Kiwibank #38 9005 035812500.
- Cheques should be made payable to the Auckland Zen Centre and either placed in the donations box at the Centre or mailed to Auckland Zen Centre, P.O. Box 109 729, Newmarket, 1149.
- You may also use the "donate" (PayPal) button below. Paypal does charge us a 3.5% commission, so internet banking is preferable. Paypal will email you to confirm that your donation has been received by Kathryn Argetsinger.
Information for overseas donors
- For US residents who wish to claim a tax deduction, donations may be made to the Rochester Zen Center with instructions designating the funds for the Auckland Zen Centre account.
- Cheques in US dollars may also be mailed to Auckland Zen Centre, P.O. Box 109 729, Newmarket, Auckland 1149, New Zealand. For US tax deduction, see previous point above.
- Internet transfers may be made to Auckland Zen Centre, account number #38 9005 035812500, Kiwibank Ltd, Wellington, New Zealand; SWIFT CODE: CITINZ2X. Please include a reference with your cheque or electronic payment detailing the purpose of the payment.
- You can also use the PayPal button below. Paypal will email you to confirm that your donation has been received by Kathryn Argetsinger.