Sensei and AZC Trustees
Auckland Zen Centre Governance
The Auckland Zen Centre fosters the teachings of Zen Buddhism by providing authentic training in its disciplines, practices and devotions. We are a community of practitioners united by a commitment to the cultivation of wisdom and compassion in widening circles, starting with our hearts and knowing no bounds.
Current Board of Trustees
Wayne Frecklington, Chair -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Grant George, Treasurer -- email@example.com
Richard von Sturmer, Secretary -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Adrian Croucher -- email@example.com
Sally McAra -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Sensei Amala Wrightson, Spiritual Director -- email@example.com
AZC Trust Deed
The Auckland Zen Centre is a registered Charitable Trust (IRD #94-887-291) whose deed provides for governance by a Spiritual Director and a Board of Trustees. According to the terms of the Trust Deed, the purposes and aims of the Trust include:
Undertaking community outreach charitable activities as deemed suitable from time to time by the Spiritual Director and the Trustees. The Trust is committed, in fulfilling its purposes, to:
- Disseminating in New Zealand the teachings of Shakyamuni Buddha for the benefit of all living beings;
- Educating all interested members of the public about Zen meditative practices and life skills that free individuals from greed, hatred and delusion, and that create citizens who are peaceful, compassionate, loving, and clear-sighted;
- Training and developing instructors, priests, and fully qualified teachers of Zen Buddhism;
- Providing suitable facilities and support for the teaching and practice of all facets of Zen Buddhism, including residential training;
- Providing meditation equipment and educational resources on Zen Buddhism in a range of media for distribution to the general public;
- Upholding the Sixteen Cardinal Precepts of Mahayana Buddhism:
- Three Treasures: Taking refuge in Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.
- Three Pure Precepts: Doing good, abstaining from evil, liberating all sentient beings.
- Ten Cardinal Precepts: Not killing, not stealing, not engaging in harmful sexual relations, not lying, not abusing intoxicants, not speaking of others’ faults, not boasting, not withholding spiritual or material aid, not indulging in anger, and not reviling the Three Treasures (of Buddha, Dharma and Sangha).
- Working to Embody the Six Perfections:
- Giving (Dana) – offering the teaching freely and supporting it generously.
- Morality (Sila) – abstaining from harmful behaviour and engaging in helpful behaviour (especially as outlined in the precepts above).
- Forbearance (Ksanti) – being tolerant of differences and difficulties and solving conflicts peacefully.
- Diligence (Virya) – practicing the Dharma with energy, consistency and commitment.
- Meditation (Dhyana) – engaging wholeheartedly in whatever one is doing.
- Wisdom (Prajna) – seeing things as they are.Click here to read the full text of the Trust Deed.
Minutes of Trust Meetings are available upon request from the Secretary.
AZC Five-year Strategic Plan
AZC Financial Statements for the Year Ended 31 March 2012: Link to Charities Commission Site
2012 Annual Report to the Members from Sensei (Spiritual Director): Attached Below
2012 Mind Mapping Document: Attached Below